Louisiana has really bad laws when it comes to mattress disposal, so what do you do? Should you leave it by the dumpster? On the side of the road? By your mailbox? Perhaps, you are consider burning it? Planning on giving it away to someone in need?
It’s true, there are not many ways in which you can properly dispose of a mattress in Acadiana.
Here are the best options to dispose of your old mattresses.
Give it away – You would be amazed, to learn how many people are willing to take your old mattress. The best and easiest way to find someone to pickup your old mattress, would be Facebook Marketplace or Facebook buy & sell groups. In addition, friends, relatives, co-workers, and neighbors are a great place to find takers.
Drop it off at city dump locations – Depending on which city your located in, many have specific locations in which they will take your old mattress. However, you will be required to show a proper form of identification. This is my second favorite disposal option.
- Youngsville, LA: Citizens may drop old mattresses off at 310 Railroad St, Youngsville, LA 70592.
- Lafayette, LA parish: In the city of Lafayette, once a month there is a service which will pick-up your large items. Lafayette parish residents can learn more about disposal routes by going to: http://www.lafayettela.gov/EQ/Pages/Large-Item-Collection.aspx
- New Iberia, LA & Iberia parish: You can dump your mattress at Place Land Fill or alternatively, by going to: https://www.cityofnewiberia.com/minutes-database
- Saint Landry, LA parish: Residents can learn more about disposal by going to: https://slpsolidwaste.org/disposal-diversion
- Acadia, LA parish: Residents can learn more about disposal by going to: http://www.appj.org/solid-waste/
- Baton Rouge, LA: Citizens of the BR area can learn more about recycling & disposing of furniture & mattresses by going to: https://www.brla.gov/337/Garbage-Collection
- Jefferson Davis parish: Residents should go to the following government link to learn the rules & regulations of the area: https://www.jeffparish.net/departments/environmental-affairs/garbage-and-recycling/curbside-collection–guidelines
- Vermillion, LA parish: Residents can learn more about recycling & disposal by going to: https://vermilionparishpolicejury.com/RECYCLE.html
- Lake Charles, LA & Calcasieu County: These areas provide drop off stations & routine pickup routes for both mattresses & furniture products. For complete details go to: https://www.calcasieuparish.gov/services/engineering-and-public-works/public-works/solid-waste/cppj-waste-management
- Shreveport, LA & Caddo parish: Residents can find everything they need to know by going to: https://www.shreveportla.gov/index.aspx?nid=486
- Alexandria, LA: Go to the following link to find out what you need to know: https://www.cityofalexandriala.com/sanitation-trash-pickup
- Gretna, LA: Learn everything you need to know about local pickup routes and what’s accepted/not accepted by going to: https://www.gretnala.com/residents/wasterecycling/
- New Orleans, LA: Residents can learn more about recycling old bedding & furniture in the NOLA area by going to: http://www.nola.gov/sanitation/trash/bulky-waste/
Sell it – This option applies particularly to those people who have only owned the mattress for several years, and for one reason or another it was not working out.
- Believe it or not, there is a large population of people who are always searching for a gently used second hand mattress.
- For this option, I strongly recommend you to take ethics into account and give a full disclosure of the mattresses problems, to the person you are selling it to.
- Do NOT under any circumstances sell a mattress which contains bed bugs, mold, and/or anything else not fit for human usage. (Click here if you are looking to purchase a used mattress)
Donate it – There is no shortage of non-profit organizations who would take the mattress, provided it’s in a reasonable condition. This option, is by far our favorite as it accomplishes your main goal of removing the bed, in addition to helping someone in need.
- Salvation Army
- Good Will
- Habitat for Humanity
- Furniture Bank Association of America
- Facebook – Find people desperately in need.
- Mattress Doctor – Our company donates as many mattresses & gentle used bedding to people in need, as we can get our hands on. There is never a shortage of desperate individuals. We would be more than happy to facilitate the process for you!
Recycle it – Recycling old mattresses is trending right now, many people are finding unique uses for the springs. An estimated 80%-90% of mattresses can be recycled and the materials re-purposed. In other parts of the world, they are recycling mattresses to grow food & solve hunger issues, it’s incredible. America however, is much more wasteful.
Finding a local source to recycling your bedding may be difficult, as we are not aware of any places actually doing this locally. If you do however find a source, please contact us & let us know so we can help get involved in recycling mattresses, as there are many benefits.
Hire a removal service – Companies exist for the sole purpose of removing unwanted items, such as a mattress or furniture.
- NOTE: Mattress Doctor does offer a mattress removal/disposal service, which costs $50 for as many mattresses as you have to get rid of, at a single location.
If you are outside of our service area, here are a couple options, but do keep in mind we have never used or had any experience with the following services, therefor we don’t give our full recommendation on either company:
- One such service is 1800gotjunk.com, they advertise a good bit and would be my first choice: https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en/locations/junk-removal-lafayette
- Another service offered is from MattressDisposalPlus.com, checkout the Lafayette chapter: https://mattressdisposalplus.com/lafayette/
FUN FACT: 70% of old mattresses remain in use past the point when they’re still in good shape.
Worst ways to dispose of your old mattress:
- Burn it – Burning old bedding is a common occurrence for those living outside of city limits. For environmental reasons, we do not recommend taking this route, although many people do it everyday.
Above all, be responsible and respectful of our beautiful state!
Disposing of a mattress improperly or selling a mattress known to have bed bugs, can both become criminal charges under the right circumstances.
- For anyone still confused or concerned about how they will dispose of their mattress, give us a call at (337) 761-6323 or fill out a contact us form & we will assist in making the right choice!
Mattress Mike is a believer that people are good natured & everyone deserves comfort, his belief is that no one should buy a mattress, because it’s simply more expensive!
- How a mattress feels to you, is the best indicator.
- Pick out a good 10 year warranty and local company which will have your back, put a mattress protector on the bed immediately.
- And, should you have any issues with the mattress, either your warranty or local store will cover it.
- Mattress Doctor Lafayette does not turn customers away when it’s not their fault. If there’s a problem, we will make it right.
- We aim to treat everyone life family, not a number walking through the door.