Louisiana has really bad laws when it comes to mattress disposal, so what do you do? Should you leave it by the dumpster? On the side of the road? By your mailbox? Perhaps, you are consider burning it? Planning on giving it away to someone in need?
It’s true, there are not many ways in which you can properly dispose of a mattress in Acadiana.
Here are the best options to dispose of your old mattresses.
- Give it away – You would be amazed, to learn how many people are willing to take your old mattress. The best and easiest way to find someone to pickup your old mattress, would be Facebook Marketplace or Facebook buy & sell groups. In addition, friends, relatives, co-workers, and neighbors are a great place to find takers.
- Drop it off at city dump locations – Depending on which city your located in, many have specific locations in which they will take your old mattress. However, you will be required to show a proper form of identification. This is my second favorite disposal option. In the city of Lafayette, once a month there is a service which will pick-up your large items. (Click here to read more.)
- Sell it – This option applies particularly to those people who have only owned the mattress for several years, and for one reason or another it was not working out. Believe it or not, there is a large population of people who are always searching for a gently used second hand mattress. For this option, I strongly recommend you to take ethics into account and give a full disclosure of the mattresses problems, to the person you are selling it to. Do NOT under any circumstances sell a mattress which contains bed bugs, mold, and/or anything else not fit for human usage. (Click here if you are looking to purchase a used mattress)
- Donate it – There is no shortage of non-profit organizations who would take the mattress, provided it’s in a reasonable condition. Examples of such places include the Salvation Army, Good Will, Habitat for Humanity, Furniture Bank Association of America, and many others. This option, is by far our favorite as it accomplishes your main goal of removing the bed, in addition to helping someone in need.
- Recycle it – Recycling old mattresses is trending right now, many people are finding unique uses for the springs. An estimated 80%-90% of mattresses can be recycled and the materials re-purposed.
- Hire a removal service – Companies exist for the sole purpose of removing unwanted items, such as a mattress. One such service is 1800gotjunk.com. (Click here to visit mattressdisposalplus.com’s Lafayette chapter.)
FUN FACT: 70% of old mattresses remain in use past the point when they’re still in good shape.
Worst ways to dispose of your old mattress:
- Burn it – Burning old bedding is a common occurrence for those living outside of city limits. For environmental reasons, we do not recommend taking this route, although many people do it everyday.
Above all, be responsible and respectful of our beautiful state!
Disposing of a mattress improperly or selling a mattress known to have bed bugs, can both become criminal charges under the right circumstances.
- For anyone still confused or concerned about how they will dispose of their mattress, give us a call at (337) 761-6323 and we will assist in making the right choice!