Are you tired of tossing and turning at night and want to find a way to get rid of your insomnia? We’ve written this guide to help you get to sleep faster, stay asleep longer, and get into a deep REM sleeping cycle for longer periods of time. Ultimately, improving your quality of life & overall health and wellbeing.
- This is a common problem for many people and can be quite frustrating, when there’s no solution.
Unfortunately, insomnia can exist for many reasons and if untreated, lack of sleep effects the immune system, it can lead to memory loss, a feeling of anxiousness, irritability, and other unpleasant things. Use the following tips and learn how to sleep peacefully at night.
15 Pieces of Advice: How to Get a Better Quality Sleep & into a Deep REM Cycle with Insomnia
01. Only spend time in bed when you are sleeping or having sex.
When less time is spent in bed, you are conditioned to only associate sleep or sex with your bed. Don’t go to bed unless it is for these two reasons. For instance, no television watching in the bedroom.
02. Make your bedroom the right environment for sleeping.
Ensure that it is comfortable at all times. A bedroom should be quiet, have the right temperature and be dark enough for sleep. Making certain of these things is the best way to ensure that sleep comes naturally.
03. Develop a routine that helps you to sleep.
Don’t do anything that makes it hard to go to sleep. Establish a pattern for sleep. Read a book, remove your makeup, drink a glass of warm milk. Do things that will put you into the right frame of mind for sleep.
04. Get into the habit of daily exercise.
The harder you exercise during the day, the easier it will be to fall asleep at night. When you exercise, it triggers hormones that put you to sleep naturally. However, don’t exercise too closely to your bedtime. This will actually do the opposite of what you’re trying to accomplish.
05. Concentrate on relaxation.
Instead of worrying about the stresses of your day, relax instead. Unfortunately, nighttime is when many people have some of their most stressful thoughts. Don’t let bad thoughts interfere with your ability to sleep.
06. Do not go to bed until you are extremely sleepy.
Even if you just want to lay down to relax. Keep busy until you are so sleepy that you just want to fall into bed.
07. Try not to eat too close to bedtime.
This is especially important for people who have problems digesting food. You don’t want to eat or drink anything that might keep you from falling asleep or wake you up in the middle of the night.
08. Do not consume anything with caffeine too close to bedtime.
Why does your body need caffeine? It is to stay alert. It doesn’t make sense to eat or drink anything with caffeine in it before your bedtime.
09. Do not put electronics in the bedroom.
This includes anything such as your television, iPad or even your smartphone. These are all distractions that can interfere with a restful sleeping pattern.
10. Don’t sleep facing your clock.
Do you constantly keep looking at your clock at night, because you can’t get to sleep. Either turn away from your clock or purchase one that does not have a bright led display.
11. Limit your alcohol intake before bedtime.
Yes, it will help you to wind down and relax; however, once the effects go away, alcohol tends to make you more alert overall
12. Don’t drink anything too close to bedtime.
Keep in mind that drinking a lot of liquids before bedtime will only result in more trips to the bathroom during the middle of the night. Unfortunately, when this happens, it will be even harder to go back to sleep once you are awake.
13. Reduce as many sounds in your environment as possible.
Analyze the background sounds in your bedroom. Is there anything that is keeping you from falling asleep? Is the faucet in the bathroom dripping? Do you need to fix a loud furnace? Find the source of disturbing sounds and get rid of them.
14. Reduce the amount of light in your bedroom.
Are there too many lights in your room? For instance, electronic displays can be very distracting when you’re trying to go to sleep. Or maybe, you need to purchase thicker curtains for your room to block out street lights. Studies have proven sleeping with light can lead to neurological disorders and increased health risks, a great solution for this is to use a sleep mask to go to bed.
15. Discuss your sleeping problem with your physician.
It may be time to talk to your doctor. Work closely with him to find a solution that will help you to sleep soundly at night.
If you are having problems getting to sleep at night, hopefully, the aforementioned 15 tips to sleep better and get a higher quality of sleep will help.
Our opinion, is it’s always a good idea to try the above methods and avoid medications if at all possible.
Still struggling with sleep after using all of the above methods?
- It’s time to consult a licensed doctor to discuss additional options and medications which may help solve your problem.
- Not every person is going to be able to solve their issues using our advice, and that’s okay.
- Each person is built uniquely and has different needs.
- Don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed if you need to seek medical attention.
If you have any further questions, comments, or input on this topic, we would love to hear from you.
Just go ahead and comment below or send us a private message by using our contact form.
God bless, we pray your sleep issues get better & you get the quality sleep, which you so deserve!
Mattress Doctor and it’s employees are not doctors or licensed to give medical advise. This advice is given as a recommendation from professional & personal experiences, as well as research studies we’ve learned from published studies from universities, government publications, and top trusted online educational webpages. We are not affiliated with any of the references provided below.
Mattress Mike is a believer that people are good natured & everyone deserves comfort, his belief is that no one should buy a mattress, because it’s simply more expensive!
- How a mattress feels to you, is the best indicator.
- Pick out a good 10 year warranty and local company which will have your back, put a mattress protector on the bed immediately.
- And, should you have any issues with the mattress, either your warranty or local store will cover it.
- Mattress Doctor Lafayette does not turn customers away when it’s not their fault. If there’s a problem, we will make it right.
- We aim to treat everyone life family, not a number walking through the door.